Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Joy of Cooking

I love to cook I have for as long as I can remember. I made dinner for a few of my friends the other night, while we were eating one of my friends asked me why I like to cook. She does not cook at all the most she ever does in the kitchen is boil water, she seemed genuinely confused why I had spent several hours of time making a meal on a Tuesday night. It took me a while to come up with a good answer for her other than I just enjoy it. I realized I like to cook because it calms me, I have produced something in the end, it's experimental you will never have the exact same thing again. Cooking allows me to leave my head and think about flavors, to focus on chopping, and forces me to time things just right so everything is done at the same time. I suppose just like any hobby it isn't for everyone, but I was surprised when she seemed so confused. Playing with flavor, texture, and color allows me to be creative. Coking is a way of expressing myself without trying too hard, it just comes to me. Maybe next time I need to come up with a good idea I will try to cook, who knows maybe something will develop from it.

No comments: